Nullarbor Couch is your ideal lawn selection to produce a low mown manicured lawn that will never go unnoticed whilst performing in full sun areas. Nullarbor Couch provides a good dense cover with self-repairing wear tolerance. Lilydale Instant Lawn's Nullarbor Couch brand is the Santa Anna Couch variety.
Some of the many key features and benefits of Nullarbor Couch:
- Fine leaf blade, low profile dark emerald green in colour
- Self Repairing
- Ideal for Melbourne conditions
- Backed by our exclusive 10 Year Lawn Solutions Australia Product Warranty
- Excellent wear tolerance
- Ideal for people who love to mow their lawn short
- It has low dormancy which means it has an early start to growth after winter
- It has good tolerance of broad leaf herbicides for weed control
Click here to check out our gallery
Preparation & Installation
To get the best results out of your Nullarbor Couch Lawn long term we recommend the following preparation:
- When preparing to lay your Nullarbor Couch it is advisable to have at least 100mm of well-worked soil. This can be achieved by rotary hoeing the existing soil if suitable or if there is minimal or poor soil, additional top soil is required. Remove all stones, clods and other debris.
- Rake the entire area to ensure a smooth, even surface and allow about 25mm below paths and driveways for the thickness of our exclusive QWELTS of Nullarbor Couch.
- Apply your starter fertiliser to the prepared soil area ensuring you apply an even coating of the pellets to the entire area.
- Begin laying your Nullarbor Couch QWELTS along a straight edge, such as a driveway or path, furthest from the stack of turf. When laying the QWELTS place them on the ground, next to each other in a brick-work pattern. Do not push them up too hard as this can lift the turf leaving the root system without soil contact.
- The QWELTS can be trimmed with a sharp knife or hedge shears to conform with paths and garden edges.
- As our exclusive QWELTS are cut thick, their is no need to top dress with sand but if you choose to you can apply white washed sand to the edges of your QWELT pieces. White washed sand acts as an insulator to reduce edges from drying out, especially in the warmer months.
It is essential that a thorough soaking with water of your lawn commences immediately upon installation. For larger installations, watering should commence as sections are completed.
It is vital that the turf is kept moist with regular daily watering until root growth is established approx 3 to 6 weeks depending on the season.
Once your Nullarbor Couch is established, it is drought tolerant and requires less regular ongoing watering. Click here for more advice on watering your instant turf.
Nullarbor Couch requires little or no mowing during the cooler months whilst in the warmer months mowing may be necessary each week.
Nullarbor Couch has a strong horizontal habit that makes it tolerant of low mowing and should be maintained at a height of approximately 15-20mm but avoid scalping as you could damage the root system of the turf.
Nullarbor Couch only needs to be fertilised every three months. This will ensure your turf has enough nutrients to keep it strong and healthy.
Lawn Rescue Spray-on is also recommended as a compliment to fertiliser and can be used throughout the year. Lawn Rescue will promote the proper development of root systems and early turf growth. It will rejuvenate existing lawns, bringing back life and vigor to tired turf.
For all your fertiliser and lawn products needs please visit Lilydale Instant Lawn's lawn care store online