Preferring a full sun aspect, Eureka Kikuyu is a tough, strong drought tolerant lawn.
Its vigorous growth habit allows it to repair very quickly, establishing a strong, deep root base to help it stand up to the hottest summer days and high traffic areas.
It is a creeping lawn and due to its self-repairing nature it can often not suit if you have garden beds, as Eureka Kikuyu is very aggressive if not kept under control.
Some of the many key features and benefits of Eureka Kikuyu:
- Harvested in Lilydale Instant Lawn's QWELTS
- Rapid recovery from wear and tear
- Ideal for Melbourne conditions
- Backed by our exclusive 10 year Lawn Solutions Australia Product warranty
- Self Repairing - ideal if you have high traffic or digging dogs
- Tolerance of water logged soil – making Eureka Kikuyu a great choice for areas with poor drainage
Click here to check out our gallery
Preparation & Installation
To get the best results out of your Eureka Kikuyu Lawn long term we recommend the following preparation:
- When preparing to lay your Eureka Kikuyu it is advisable to have at least 100mm of well-worked soil. This can be achieved by rotary hoeing the existing soil if suitable or if there is minimal or poor soil, additional top soil is required. Remove all stones, clods and other debris.
- Rake the entire area to ensure a smooth, even surface and allow about 25mm below paths and driveways for the thickness of our exclusive QWELTS of Eureka Kikuyu.
- Apply your starter fertiliser to the prepared soil area ensuring you apply an even coating of the pellets to the entire area.
- Begin laying your Eureka Kikuyu QWELTS along a straight edge, such as a driveway or path, furthest from the stack of turf. When laying the QWELTS place them on the ground, next to each other in a brick-work pattern. Do not push them up too hard as this can lift the turf leaving the root system without soil contact.
- The QWELTS can be trimmed with a sharp knife or hedge shears to conform with paths and garden edges.
- As our exclusive QWELTS are cut thick, there is no need to top dress with sand but if you choose to you can apply white washed sand to the edges of your QWELT pieces. White washed sand acts as an insulator to reduce edges from drying out, especially in the warmer months.
It is essential that a thorough soaking with water of your lawn commences immediately upon installation. For larger installations, watering should commence as sections are completed.
It is vital that the turf is kept moist with regular daily watering until root growth is established approx 3 to 6 weeks depending on the season.
Once your Eureka Kikuyu is established, it is drought tolerant and requires less regular ongoing watering. Click here for more advice on watering your instant turf.
The first mow of your new Eureka Kikuyu lawn can be undertaken once your turf has begun to shoot new leaves once installed.
We recommend taking only one third of the leaf blade off every mow and maintaining the leaf at about 30-40mm. Avoid cutting shorter then 30mm as it can damage the lawns root system.
During the warmer months mowing may be necessary every week; however this will vary depending on how much you water it and the weather conditions.
Eureka Kikuyu only needs to be fertilised every three months. This will ensure your turf has enough nutrients to keep it strong and healthy.
Lawn Rescue Spray-on is also recommended as a compliment to fertiliser and can be used throughout the year. Lawn Rescue will promote the proper development of root systems and early turf growth. It will rejuvenate existing lawns, bringing back life and vigor to tired turf.
For all your fertiliser and lawn products needs please visit Lilydale Instant Lawn's lawn care store online